Hello, in this post we are going to discuss the types of biometric attendance system.
The topics we will cover in this post are:
- What is Biometric attendance?
- Different types of biometric attendance
- Advantages of biometrics in payroll
What is Biometric attendance?
Biometrics attendance measures and verifies the biological characteristics of a human. It helps to keep track of the schedule of workers, volunteers, or students. It can accurately record the entry and exit times of the individual.
So the employer/authority will have clarity and there will be no dispute between who is in and out for the duty.
There are mainly 2 types of biometric techniques:
- Behavioural biometrics – It works on the verification method. It is applicable to offices, business centers, and various educational institutions.
- Physical biometrics – It works for both identification and verification method. The banks and other investigative departments use it for secure transactions and criminal investigation.
Different types of biometric attendance
The different types of biometric attendance system are:
The identification of an individual by the analysis of segments from DNA.
The identification of an individual by the shape of the ear.
- Iris Recognition
The use of iris features to identify a specific individual.
- Retina Recognition
The use of patterns of veins in the back of the eye to identify an individual.
- Iris Recognition
- Face Recognition
The facial features or patterns are analyzed for the authentication or recognition of an individual. They use either faces or local feature analysis.
- Fingerprint Recognition
It recognizes ridges and valleys (minutiae) on the surface of the human finger.
- Finger Geometry Recognition
It will use the 3D geometry of the finger to determine one’s identity.
- Gait Recognition
Here an individual’s walking style or gait is used to determine one’s identity.
- Hand Geometry Recognition
The geometric features of the hand like the finger’s length and the width of the hand are used to identify an individual.
- Odour Recognition
An individual’s odour is used to determine identity.
- Typing Recognition
It recognizes and uses the unique characteristics of a person typing for establishing one’s identity.
- Vein Recognition
Vein recognition can be used to identify individuals based on the vein patterns in the human finger or palm.
- Identification of speaker
Identification is to determine an unknown speaker’s identity. We can install these identification systems without the user’s knowledge. So, it can then identify a talking person, alert if the speaker changes, check the user is part of the system, etc.
Ex: Police officers can compare a suspect’s sketch in the documented criminal database to find a match.
- Verification/Authentication of the speaker
It uses the voice of the speaker for determining the identity. So, when an individual wants to claim an identity, their voice can verify it. Ex: When we present our passport for the verification process at the border, the officer compares our face and the one in the passport.
- Identification of speaker
- Signature Recognition
Employee authentication by analyzing the handwriting style, especially the signature.
- Static – The visual comparison between one scanned signature and another scanned signature. It can also between a scanned signature and an ink signature.
- Dynamic – It captures your data along with the X, Y, T, and P Coordinates of the signor from the signing device. This data can be also used in the court using digital forensic examination tools. You can also authenticate signatures from the biometric template created. You can do this authentication either at the time of signing or post-signing.
Advantages of biometrics in payroll
Using a biometric attendance system has the following advantages:
- No ghost punching
- No replacement cost
- Data accuracy
- Accurate payroll
- Automated rules
- Increase in productivity
- Improves employee accountability
No ghost punching
A biometric attendance will only accept an enrolled employee to punch in. When a co-worker punches for another co-worker it becomes a form of time fraud. Another person can not duplicate the biometric data of another co-worker. Thus, the number of time fraud cases in an organization will be less.
No replacement cost
A biometric attendance system relies on an employee’s biometric information like fingerprints, vein mapping, collagen, etc. to verify and clock in the employee. So, a smooth process is possible because no card replacement costs and his/her finger is never forgotten.
The data from a biometric attendance system is accurate and easily accessible. Therefore, you can generate quick reports and get problem alerts.
A biometric system record employees’ arrival and exit times, and the employer can pay them accordingly. So, there is less chance for overpayment of employees, and it is a huge cost-saving measure for the company.
You can configure a biometric system to administer office rules. For example, a company with a biometric attendance system need not manually track working hours. The system can do it and sends out reports to employees.
Increase in productivity
A biometric system will decrease staffing overhead, save employee time, and provides payroll with accurate labour data. In the end, it will lead to an effective business environment.
Improves employee accountability
A biometric can create verifiable audit trails, thereby improves the accountability and responsibility of the employees. The system can also accurately identify and record employee’s actions like absenteeism, unscheduled breaks, etc.
Therefore, it creates adherence in employees to the workplace rules and accountability, eliminating employee theft, buddy punching, and other problems and loopholes as a result of an outdated manual attendance system.
With that, we have come to an end of this post on the types of biometric attendance.
Share you queries with us in the comment section below.
Refer to our blog:
- Different Types Of Attendance Tracking System
- Benefits Of Payroll Software
- Workplace Guide To Avoid The Spread Of COVID-19